"It seems the SNP would rather throw millions at parking people on methadone instead of taking them into a centre and giving them high-quality care and attention. This proves that the Scottish Government wants to shut its eyes and hope the problem goes away.
"These centres provide the best opportunity for people with drug addiction issues to beat their habit. Instead, they are being closed down with no hope of being replaced.
"Recent statistics showed the methadone programme to be the human disaster we all know it is. It is legalised drug-taking on an industrial scale."
A Scottish Government spokeswoman said: "With an investment of over £162 million (2007-08 to 2012-13) in front line drug services, almost 40,000 new clients have been referred for specialist assessments into care and treatment services for their drug use. Prior to 2007 it was not uncommon to wait up to a year for an appointment now 87% of people get treatment within 3 weeks.
"It is for clinicians to decide in consultation with their client the best form of treatment to meet their needs. We know from the National Treatment Waiting Times Database that 19,043 drug treatments started between April 2011 March 2012 that less than 20% included prescribed drug treatment, including but not exclusively methadone. Of the other 80% they received a range of treatments including residential rehab."